           From: "Mark Schueller" <f41324@xxxxxxxxxx>
      2. 61 300-G or F
           From: "thomas powers" <classiccars64@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. 300F Steering wheel
           From: "Krikhaar, Alex" <akrikhaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:51:47 -0600
   From: "Mark Schueller" <f41324@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: 300F Carter AFB 2903S Carbs

Greetings 300 Club members:

A few years ago I rebuilt the carbs on my newly purchased F. The car had
been sitting for many years and wouldn't start. The carbs were terribly
gooked up and needed a good cleaning. The engine runs beautifully at
steady speeds, but lacks acceleration at all speeds, especially when hot.
When cold, the engine is much more responsive. The chokes are not
connected. The engine has backfired when hot under acceleration suggesting
a lean fuel mixture.

I decided to re-inspect the carbs and found out that the accelerator pump
plunger assembly originally removed from the carb was 2-7/32" long and
stamped with the number 823. The replacement accelerator pump plunger
assembly from NAPA kit 2-5424A was 2-11/32" long and stamped with the
number 824. I also realized that when the 824 accelerator pump plunger
assembly was installed to specs, it bottomed out in the pump well about
when the secondary valves began to open. The 823 pump bottomed out too but
the secondaries were 99.9% open.

I suspect acceleration is poor because the accelerator pumps are not
working correctly because incorrect pump plungers were installed. Both
pumps have the new longer NAPA plunger assemblies.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Does any one have one or two good 823
accelerator pump plungers or original manufacturer carb rebuild kits for
sale out there for the Carter AFB 2903S?

I am anxious to hear from you. Thanks,

Mark Schueller

Message: 2