           From: William Huff <whuff@xxxxxxxxxx>
      2. Interesting tidbits found here
           From: paul holmgren <paulholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Interesting tidbits found here
           From: Ray Jones <hurst300@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      4. mistake
           From: lhh225@xxxxxxx

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 18:17:09 -0500
   From: William Huff <whuff@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fwd: performmance tires & rim??

Hi Shawn,

I think any of the 4 1/2" bolt pattern rims would fit, you didn't say
which
car you are trying to fit, but that is the size for all the big cars.
Just
a matter of what style you like.  As with all MOPAR products, one big
thing
is the back spacing.  For me, it is actually harder than the rim width to
figure out.  To get the maximum tire under the car, you need to have all
the tire dimensions for several tires, and then figure out what size rim
and tire combination can fit under your fender wells.  The back spacing of

the rim, that is the distance from the surface that mates to the brake
drum
to the innermost part of the rim is crucial.  You can adjust the back
spacing to allow a much wider rim to fit with the tire you want so it
doesn't hit the outer fender surface.  By moving the tire inboard with a
larger backspace, you can leave just enough clearance to the outboard
fender well and the inboard leaf springs.  You can map this out with a
cardboard template with the car supported on the suspension, and a rear
tire off.  As long as the car is sitting normally, you can physically mock

up any tire and rim combination to see how it would actually fit under the

car.  With my '67 GTX, when I fitted the 9" x 27" slicks, I ended up with
minimum of 1/2" clearance all around the sidewalls, and I have never had
any part of the tire touch the car.  Of course, I have to put a jack
between the springs and the frame to force enough clearance under the low
fender well opening to change out the slicks.  Modifying the fender
opening
would have simplified the process, but I wanted to remain in stock
configuration.

As far as tires go, besides my Chrysler products, I happen to own a 2003
Mercury Marauder.  They use BF Goodrich "G Force" tires on that car on 17"

rims forward and 18" rims aft.  I have yet to provoke so much as a squeak
out of those tires, and I have really pushed the limit on some off ramps
and a couple of curvy roads.  Don't know if they make them in the sizes
you
would want, or the mileage they will last (probably not long the way I
have
been treating them), but they are truly a performance tire.

If you work with the tech people at a good company, they can really steer
you right.  It must have taken 6 phone calls to Summit before I committed
to a specific tire and rim combination.

Good luck,

Bill

>does any one know what performance tire and rims i could get for my car
that
>would be good
>i seem to like the gooyear tires
>michelin is my favorite now but don't seem to ake any as performance tire
>wise
>
>rims i'm inthe dark??
>can anyone help me??
>thank you