           From: Philippe Courant <accf-club@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Vath, Michael J." <mjvath@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Tony Brummett <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
           From: Paul Martin <paul_martin78ca@xxxxxxxx>
           From: "my69300" <tubman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: News4ge@xxxxxxx
           From: Doug Warrener <dwarrener@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: Doug Warrener <dwarrener@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Owen & Jo Grigg" <ram300@xxxxxxxxxx>
           From: Lindsey Fuller <lfuller@xxxxxxx>
     11. non-300 direction
           From: Gary Finger <my300g@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:15:34 +0200
   From: Philippe Courant <accf-club@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: front brakes - 57 vs. 60

Hi John,
It's a question that i ask myself  since a lot of time !!! The (US) ' 57
FSM shows that FRONT springs are anchored through the hole of the shoe
and not through the eyelet (fig 57x48, 57x49 etc..). The REAR drum
spring are anchored through the eyelet (fig 56x177A). Note that front
springs have 4 coils and rear have 5 coils.

BUT, on canadian 57-59 Mopar FSM: " insert the 4 coil (5 on rear))
return springs in the hole in the brake shoe webs". Two pics, the one
showing front brakes (fig 1408-57) with spring throught the hole and
another pic showing rear (fig 1409-57) with spring in the eyelet !! Next
page the rear spring is in the hole of the shoe (fig  1410 or 1411-57)
!...

Who knows what is the correct mounting ?

On mine i have anchored the FRONT springs in the eyelet since my
restoration and i posted this yesterday on IML :
"Today  i drove my car in a lot of "stop and go" (2 miles driving with
several braking  then stopping, then go back 2 miles, then stopping
etc.. ) and i notice after 2 or three travels that front (drum) brakes
make some squealing noise when i brake a little hard, especially when
the car stopped. After another 2 or three travels, the noise increased
and came sooner and also every time i brake the car . This noise is like
the one you've sometimes on disc brakes  or the same than when a train
stopped at a station !!!  Then i stopped the car for 1 hour or two. When
i took again the car, no noise when braking... But it came again after
20 or 30 braking ..
The noise came from front (left i'm sure but it seems also that right
drum makes noise) not from rear... The braking (except the noise) is
correct. "

I just wonder if ther's something wrong with springs anchored in the
wrong place !!

--

Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)- Webmaster des sites ACCF et C-I-F
Imperial 1957 Crown convertible

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com

- Chrysler Imperial France (C-I-F) : http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f

- Cadillac " Standard of Excellence " : http://www.ifrance.com/accf-cad