Re: [Chrysler300] do i have to use teh 268 cam???????

Re: [Chrysler300] do i have to use teh 268 cam???????

Don't forget that almost every engine on the road today built in the
last 10 years have Ram tubes.  With carb's or fuel injection.  Just
start opening hoods.4cyls to V/8s  they all have them.  So what I would
do is take advantage of the Ram tube torque range. The 300F engine used
a different timing gear. It retarded the cam 2 degrees.  Now we all know
that retarding the cam extends the torque range.  I have always felt but
not confirmed that Chrysler new the Ram effect gave great torque but for
a short time, So if they retarded the cam 2 degrees it would extend the
torque range a little farther.  Make sense?
Now I don't know that much on the 300k timing gears  A parts book might
show it. but If it were me I would install your cam so it would do the
same thing.  The drawback of larger cams is loosing vacuum at Idle.
Heater and a/c controls don't work right.  Power brakes won't work
right.  Believe me I know from personal experience.   One other thing
you might look at is your Torque Converter.  it helps make your Chubby
Little Girl more drive able at slow speeds when you go to a bigger
cam.      One mans Ideas-   Gary Barker
greektruck@xxxxxxx wrote:

>i am looking for a definative answer if someone can help me please...........
>i have a short ram 300k, it needed an engine so i put the original in teh
>garage and built a 440. (yes, i am the same running temp question person)  just
>of the engine is a .030 440, 10.25 compression, balanced blah, blah, blah.
>edelbrock alum heads, factory ram headers. and a solid factory spec very very
>small 268 .450 ish lift solid cam.
>she runs strong. no complaints, well one, the small cam sucks. pardon my
>greek.
>i had it dyno'd, installed in car, and she makes good power considering the
>severe power loss through teh automatic. sorry, off track here.........
>i wish to put in a 280 int. 290 exh., 480-490  lift cam in. less torque but
>still enough to move my chubby little girl, and the rams help first gear torque
>anyhow. there-in lies the question, will my rams still work or will they just
>be a WOW factor when seen by others? i have read teh ram theory and it seems
>it has to be a specific duration, but teh cam manufactures didnt think so, as
>the air is present and so it should be fine. but you all know better.
> please help me. cam i do this? please help me. p.s., a hydraulic will
>probably find its way in due to the fact of solids make power high end and we only
>run to maybe 5500 rpm or so.
>thanks, tim t

>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>For list server instructions, go to http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm