Re: [Chrysler300] Engine Block stampings - code inquiry

Re: [Chrysler300] Engine Block stampings - code inquiry

These are warnings of a less than perfect assembly.
They refer to other than standard sizes on various parts. The crank was
turned .010" undersize on both rods and mains, which is a normal undersize
if you were having the crank turned. The .001 undersized is more of a extra
polishing and is just very slightly smaller than stock. The valve guides
were cast in the head and bored to a standard size. This tells you that they
were bored over sized, which was the way wear was handled on a rebuild.
Chrysler offered valves with oversized stems to compensate for sloppy valve
fit when they were wore out. Offered in Standard, .005", .015" and .030"
oversized stems. You can't get them anymore (I just tried), so now you just
bore out the guide and install new ones (likethe rest of the world did it),
for about $4.00 per guide.

All of this is ofuse only to whoever is rebuilding theengine, sao they know
what they are starting with.

Ray
--
Great long Distance Service, at 3.8 cents per minuts, on line billing and
payment, and no fees: <http://www.pioneertelephone.com/TellaFriend.asp>

Ray Jones, Jones Ridge, in the Ouachita Mtns near Mena, Western Arkansas

> From: "Vath, Michael J." <MJVATH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:44:12 -0400
> To: Chrysler 300 Club Listverver <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [Chrysler300] Engine Block stampings - code inquiry
>
> Sorry for the spam. Another plea for knowledge:
>
> In examination of various Mopar V8 I.D. pads using the Govier Ovaltine
> decoder ring, I'm stumped by several designations. Car performance-wise, are
> these things desirable?
>
> ".010 Undersize Main & Rod bearings = B "
> ".001 UnderSize crankshaft = (Maltese cross)"
> " OverSize valve guides = X"
>
> Many thanks.  mv

> Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> For list server instructions, go to