Re: [Chrysler300] Trailer behind an RV?

I would open a fresh can of worms and ask what experience anyone has
towing a 4000#+ car on a trailer behind an RV.  I pulled a full-size van
flat (dropped the drive shaft) behind my 1995 Chev HD 454-powered Tioga
from Des Moines to Missoula and that went ok, even though underpowered
on Butte grade.  I've done the math on GCVR and GVW and am only slightly
overloaded with a trailer.  I always tow my Jeep Wrangler flat but would
appreciate any real world experience of towing a big car on a trailer
behind an RV.  I have seen the big Diesel RV's pulling Suburbans on
trailers, but those big RV's can also have 400-500 HP.

Thanks in advance for your valued experiences and opinions.

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
C-300

In our normal course of doing business here in Sedona, we do a respectable
amount of RV work and that includes a lot of GM P-30 chassis motorhomes like
yours. I remember only one client many years ago that towed such a load
(6,000 lbs) behind a carbureted P-30. On his own volition he ceased doing
that. He did not like the way it worked. The load did do in the transmission
and ring and pinion.

One thing I do remember about the combination in general is that the trailer
tongue weight put a heavy load on the rear axle and lowered the rear bumper
making it a real tail dragger. The owner did master the skill of going down
hill without taking out the brakes. What this fine fellow did do was quit
towing his heavy two axle trailer. What he did next was start towing a new
1995 GMC diesel 4X4. BUT, he did admit to disconnecting and driving the GMC
up the heavy upgrades.

I would suggest that the hitch on the back of the coach be reviewed as I
have not seen one on the back of a class A MH rated to tow 6,000 lbs. with a
tongue wt of 750 lbs. which might be good design numbers for your suggested
combination.

Virtually all of the MH units we see tow something. Most of the ones that
tow motorized vehicles have brake systems that apply the towed vehicles
brakes under normal braking situations. I am sure that you are aware that
some states  in the US and Canada have laws that make it mandatory to have
such systems with breakaway. The first unit we installed probably 7 yrs ago
was on a 42' diesel with air brakes that was perfectly capable of stopping
itself and it's towed Explorer but it was going to Canada and the fines are
steep and immediate. Braked trailers need brakeaway also and the number here
in AZ is 1500 lbs GVW for the trailer before trailer brakes are required.

GM did a brake update on the P-30 chassis I think in 1998. The brakes and
the front end were the weak points. The original front suspension has
stayed. The earlier P-30 chassis had more of a mountain climbing ratio than
do the later 4-speed auto chassis. This is probably for fuel economy but
here in our mountains the higher ratio does not work as well as did the old
ratio units. I have new 5.13 ratio gears in an untried '98 chassis that
makes more sense to me for heavy work as is the intended purpose of the rig.
The old units were normally 14,000 GVW and the newer ones 16,000 GVW
although most of the coaches we see will scale weigh over the GVW plate and
especially the rear axle wt.

For a lot of reasons I prefer a trailered vehicle behind me. Trailers are a
nuisance and I do guess that is why not many are used for RV secondary
transportation hauling. Having seen such, we set up our own rig to haul a
vehicle and tow a bumper pull travel trailer. Ah, to each his own. We saw a
number of 40' + rigs on the highway last week pulling RV matching enclosed
three axle trailers. Where do they park those monsters? Unassembling to get
into an RV park must be a chore but there must be RV parks big enough to
handle them fully assembled also. I see them trucking through Sedona also.
We have a 40' unit in here today for fixing (and for sale) with 425 HP
Cummins and an Allison and they are a hoot at the stop light.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used