[Chrysler300] Battery, Volts, amps, polarity, right hand rule, sparks, o

[Chrysler300] Battery, Volts, amps, polarity, right hand rule, sparks, opinions

To all who helped and had input:  This is getting beyond my ability to
separate the variables associated with my reversed battery.  In
addition, the cover on the voltage regulator was reversed so that when I
thought I polarized the system at the voltage regulator, I did not.
Anyhow, the 1955 C-300 is running and generating 7.5 volts and nothing
seems to be harmed.  Will complete the ignition system tuneup this week
after receipt of new dist cap and points from local NAPA.

This shoddy mechanic failed to tighten all the primary coil wires after
reversal, possibly leading to the indication of a failed condenser that
really did not make sense.  In process also moved timing so that fuel
went through engine unburned on deceleration and blew off a muffler.
Glad I was not at the airport!

Drove it that way to the car show and the rumble got rave reviews.  Kind
of hate to replace the muffler.  No awards at the basically hot rod show
other than many conversations with other interested aficionados.  A
local car nut saw my car at a recent show and liked it so much he went
out and bought a red C-300.  A nice looking one with air, 12-volt
system, three speed A/T and a 392, I think.  Brentwood now has two
C-300's.  I will get him a club app.

In researching the 1955 Chrysler Service Manual, I noted on page 135 in
the GENERATOR section that the 12-volt Crown Imps have positive ground
polarity.  On page 139 in the BATTERY section, it shows terminal ground
is negative.  For my curiosity, can anyone confirm the proper polarity
for a 1955 12-volt Crown Imp?

Thanks to all and MoPa'r to ya from

Rich Barber
Brentwood (with 2 C-300's), CA

MoParP2@xxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 10/11/04 1:46:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> barber@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>

>> Connect a jumper from the F terminal to ground.  Connect one end of a
>> second jumper to the negative battery post and touch the other end
>> momentarily, but firmly, to the armature terminal post at the
>> generator (with the engine not running).  Start engine and check for
>> charge.
>

> Sure sounds like a positive ground to me. Going to the negative post
> to the armature would have be the "Charge" to polarize the system.
> (??????)  Field to ground would be just to insure a good ground while
> doing this.
> Sure sounds like a typo to me too in your manual.  Just think, with a
> double degree in Electrical Engineering you would have this all
> figured out by now. Although there were some at OMC who built systems
> and released them to the field to let us work out the bugs.  Only good
> part of that was that it kept me thinking 24 hours a day. Maybe that's
> why my rain seems fried now!!!  Good luck   Ted

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used