[Chrysler300] Tube B or Not Tube B

(Retransmitted to C300 list server after resetting the account)

Rick:

I understand that wire wheels can be expected to leak through one or
more of the 48 spoke holes in each rim.  The Motor Wheel brand wheels on
my 1955 C-300 were sealed with a strip of whitish silicone-looking
elastic material on the inside of the rim that looked like it might have
been hot applied, but the former owner advised several of the five still
leaked.  The material was pulling away from the steel rim in several
places where there was light corrosion and could not be expected to seal
perfectly.  I installed new tubes inside the H78-15 Remingtons when I
moved them from their stamped steel rims to the wires.  The old tubes
turned out to look OK after 15 years and 700 miles on them, but I
changed them out anyway.  Probably should of changed the Remingtons,
also, but they look perfect.  I will probably buy a set of tubeless
radial tires and install them on the old stamped steel wheels after I
restore those wheels.  I think tubes were recommended by the factory for
wire wheels in 1955.  The Remingtons are actually hot stamped "TUBE
TYPE".   I feel the look is worth the effort and there is nothing
inherently wrong with tubes.

As a pipeliner, I know that no coating material may be expected to stick
to steel unless the steel surface is properly prepared by sandblasting
or abrading the surface to give it a little texture, then properly
installing the coating.  If this is done, a silicone or flexible epoxy
sealer just might work.  However, some small motion would be expected at
the base of each rivet as the wheel deflects during normal and abnormal
operation.  I would expect this to cause disbonding around the base of
each rivet.  Additionally, the coating material must be at least as
impervious to air as a much thicker section of rubber tire material.

Recommendation:  Keep the wire wheels if you like their look.  Install
tubes and enjoy the ride.  There are service organizations that will
replace the steel spokes with stainless units and the rims and centers
can be rechromed and straightened while disassembled.  Service
organizations can also tune the wheel to round and true by adjusting the
spokes.  Runout and roundness may be checked whenever the tires are off.

Happy New Year from

Rich barber
Brentwood, CA 94513
1955 CCC

Rick Ehrmann wrote:

Happy New Year and let's hope for a better 2005 300'ers,

Here's a minor question in the scheme of things, but a question
nonetheless:

Bruce's Mardi Gras red 300G coupe has Chrysler-style wire wheels. They
look good on the car. But are they practical? This car will be driven
long distances such as to the Spring Meet in Detroit. It has bias-ply
tires that will be replaced with 225/75/15 Coker BFG's ("S" rated) with
2.75 inch whitewalls. The current wire wheel/bias ply combo is a pain in
the rear. Every 4 or 5 days, two of the tires lose half their air. The
tires appear to be new with no tread wear. The wheel/tire seal may be
poor. Do the wire wheels tend to be leaky?

Maybe we should find 4 stock wheels and wheel covers to mount the Cokers
on. What do you think?

Rick Ehrmann

Yahoo! Groups Links