[Chrysler300] Ether way, it stinks

There is nothing new under the sun.  MTBE is
methyl-tertiary-butyl-ETHER.  MTBE is an octane enhancer in addition to
being an oxygenate.  MTBE enhanced gasoline does smell different than
leaded, unleaded or ethanol enhanced fuels--none of which are
appropriate to breathe.  Ethers are soluble, like alcohols, so pollution
of groundwater or lakes is difficult to remove.  Oil-based fuels tend to
float and biodegrade.  Alcohols and ethers tend to kill most bacteria.

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 CCC

Ray Jones wrote:

>Just for funzies, i remember stopping in Wash, DC to buy big cans of
>Ether. We were on our way to a drag strip in VA and ether was not sold
>in MD. We did this several times. Don't know if it helped much, but we
>damn near put the flagger out. The track soon banned it!
>Those were the days..........amazing that we made to older age!
>
>Ray, Springs acomin'!!
>Ray Jones, Mena, AR in the Ouachita Mountains in western Arkansas
>Y'all com'on down and we'll sit ona porch, tell some tales and sip a
>few.
>

>On Jan 3, 2005, at 10:29 AM, Ben Meisner wrote:
>

>>Hi Club
>>
>>I did neglect to mention my E-Mail for the table of conversion on
>>adding unleaded 92 octane to 110 aviation or Sunco racing gas.. its
>>meisnerinc@xxxxxxx  . All of you old racing guys and gals would also
>>remember we used a lot of Acetone in racing to get that extra octane ,
>>that way we could increase the amount of advance . You can still buy
>>it at any hardware store.. but beware its very hard on the rubber in
>>the fuel system and equally hard on the paint if you happen to spill
>>some . Mix was and still is 1 Oz acetone to I gallon Canadian. 3/4 oz
>>acetone to one gallon US . It costs about 12.00 a gallon up here which
>>is 144 oz. It gives you about 5.5 octane boost , per oz.. don't ever
>>use to much  just for the hell of it .
>>
>>Oh God its still cold here
>>-17 F, and you southern's complain
>>when it hits 40-f