Re: [Chrysler300] Causion

A couple of years ago I replaced my bias Remington's with Diamondback
radials(had to do this twice as on the first set the whitewalls all turned
brown).  I had ordered them by phone and when they arrived by UPS, I threw
them in my B and headed for the local tire store to have them mounted.  Mind
you this was a store called Wheel Works and they were one of many stores of
a large chain of tire stores who you would assume would know something about
tires and TUBES.

Of course I made my way to the repair and mounting area to watch the
procedure of mounting and balancing.  I first had to show them the technique
for removing hubcaps from wirewheels(if there is a technique).  I then had
to show these young guys doing the job(among 6 employees including the
supervisor, not one knew how to mount a tube into a tire) how to do it.  We
got the tube into the first tire and when they went to fill it with air, I
asked them to remove the valve core.  I was asked why by one of them.  I
told them that the idea was to fill the tire until the beads seated and then
to let all the air out of the tire and then we would replace the core and
fill it to proper pressure.  When I told them that we did this to allow the
tube to orient itself properly in the tire with no pinches or twists, one of
them said "oh yea".  I then asked them to balance the tires/wheels without
placing weights on the outside and still maintaining some semblance to both
static and dynamic balance.  The whole process took about 2 hours and cost
me 70.00.  I do not believe that they looked at this as a money making
proposition but I think that a couple of them were quite fascinated to learn
what we all had to do in the old days to mount tires on our cars.  I was
quite pleased to have been there and supervised them as  I would hate to
think what may have happened to my car if all I had done was just dropped
the car off and told them to replace the tires that were on the ground with
those that were in the trunk and to call me when the job was done.

The car got a lot of interest from all the employees and the customers who
were there having tires mounted on there cars.

I am not a big fan of tubes however.  They are very heavy( unsprung weight
and I think can really throw off getting a proper balance), they do build up
heat especially in radials(as noted elsewhere) and if you do pick up a nail
you are assured of a flat(tubeless can often run for quite sometime with a
nail and lose no pressure--we have probably experienced first learning of a
nail in your tire by the click/click made as it rotates), I suspect they
would lower the DOT speed rating of a tire(this is just idle speculation on
my part) and they cannot be plugged in an emergency if you should pick up a
nail.  I would like to run tubeless on my wires, but do not have much faith
in any method of ensuring that leaks will not occur around the spoke
nipples.

Roger Schaaf
300 B Calif