300G Thermostat

Dear list,

It has been a very long time since the thermostat in my 300G has been
replaced, maybe 20 years. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 413
HP engine used a thermostat that had holes drilled in it to assist in
cooling or water flow.

So here is my question. Should I obtain a thermostat (180?) from a parts
store and modify it? If so, how?

Bob J