Re: [Chrysler300] Upgrades to historic cars

Re: [Chrysler300] Upgrades to historic cars

--- "JONES,DOUG (A-USA,ex3)" <doug_jones@xxxx>
wrote:

> Do a reality check by comparing a contemporary road
> test of your Brute
> against, say, that new BMW 3 series that is cutting
> you off. Technology has
> come a long way, no doubt about it.

Okay, Doug, let's actually do that. I didn't have time
to dig up 3-series stopping distances, they weren't on
the bmw website. So, here's a list I compiled and
posted before, comparing some 1961 and 1999 models.
They are pretty startling.

Stopping distances 60 to 0

1961 Models

>>From April 1961 issue of Motor Life (all cars tested)

Olds Super 88 159 ft.
Olds F-85 171 ft.
Chrysler 300G 131 ft.
Daimler SP-250 194 ft. (disc brakes)
Dodge Dart D-500 120 ft.

1999 Models

>>From July 1999 Road & Track (excerpts from "Road Test
Summary")

Ferrari 550 Maranello 112 ft.(shortest)
Dodge Neon 153 ft.
Honda Civic Si 167 ft.(longest)
Chrysler 300M 144 ft.
Volkswagen New Beetle 155ft.
Cheverolet Corvette Convertible 123 ft.

Okay, Doug, so there is actually doubt about it.
Braking distances have not changed really much at all,
especially since 1961 Chrysler technology.

Maybe your disc conversion won't fade, but I highly
doubt you can improve your 60 to 0 stopping distance.
If you're not a brake engineer, I beg you to talk to
one before you decide a couple little disc brake pads
will stop your very heavy car effectively.

Andy