Update on the engine/compression dilemma

Update on the engine/compression dilemma

Hi all,

Before I say anything I want to say thanks to the club
and its members for the overwhelming response I
received from the posting of my question regarding the
loss of compression in two of the cylinders of my 413.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised now, but it still
amazes me, the amount of knowledge and generosity that
can be found on this email network. Thanks again, I
couldn't imagine doing it without your help.

Now to the problem...after hearing the responses of
some of the members who suggested I need to work
through the problem methodically, I decided to have
the engine compression retested manually as a back-up
to the computer readings that read low compression in
two cylinders.

After pulling each plug individually and testing each
cylinder with the other seven plugs in, it was
determined that compression was between 100 and 115 in
each cylinder! Has anyone else experienced such a
discrepancy between the computer and gauge readings?

So now, what I'm left with is a relatively smooth ride
when it starts up which degenerates into a hard miss,
with accompanying vacume loss on the hard miss, as the
engine begins to heat.

Now the carburator doesn't sound so far fetched to me.
But the very reputable gentleman who rebuilt the carb
says that's definitely not the problem. And frankly,
the carb wasn't in bad shape before it was rebuilt.

Both the engine and the carb shops I know to be
well-repected businesses. I'm now wondering if it
could have been something that was done/or not done
during the installation process. I missed the
discussion about lubing the cam lobes and getting the
oil pressure for the cam bearings and mains brought up
before start. The install was done without me, so
maybe it could have been one of those things. But then
again, the compression would be off then, wouldn't it?

Any ideas, assuming the compression is okay but she's
still hard missing, with accompanying vacume loss?

As always, thanks for the advice.

300ly,
Jonathan