Re: [Chrysler300] 300C Authenticity

Ok Ray, yer half right!

I believe Mike's question referred to a 300C convertible. 3N57 means
1957 Chrysler 300C either hardtop OR convertible. Body type can be
determined by the small "numbers plate" attached to the upper lefthand
side of the radiator support. Reading left to right accross the first
row you'll see:

MDL

563 = 300C Convertible
163 = NewYorker Convertible

566 = 300 Sports Coupe 2dr. Hardtop
166 = New Yorker
156 = Saratoga
146 = Windsor

PNT

A = Jet Black
F = Parade Green
N = Copper Brown
P = Gauguin Red
X = Cloud White
Z = Special order paint (One color)
ZZ = Special order paing (Two-tone)

TRIM

60 = Beige Leather
00 = Special order interior

SCH

I belive this is the scheduled build date

The smaller row of vertical numbers represent different 3 digit option
codes that could be on the car.

BODY

The car's body number

So, in summary, if guy says "numbers match" on a '57 300C, he's either
a liar or he has the punch card to show that the three different
identifying numbers for a 300C (body, engine and serial numbers) match
the punch card. (These three numbers do NOT match each other).

Happy Hunting! I've got Wayne Graefen's 300C handbook here (Wayne gets
the credit for the above info not me!) and a 57 service manual. Call me
if you need help figuring this car out. I'll be home this weekend.
Also, If you find an extra 300C convertible, please do call me!

Best Regards to all (and a Merry Christmas too!)

Thomas F. Miller

tfm@xxxx
614.975.4164 voice/page
707.667.2601 eFax

>>> "Ray Jones" <hurst300@xxxx> 12/20/01 05:20PM >>>
Hi Mike;
The ID is 3N57+4digits

Found after much research, on the back of the 300
Club membership card.

It also has carb #'s for when your at swap meets.

Happy holidays, Ray Jones
> I wondered if you C fans could tell me how to
verify the authenticity of a 300C convertible at a
glance? Is there a certain VIN / ID tag code
particular to the C?
> The car has no front clip, no motor, no dash and
no trim, so it is somewhat suspect. I'll be
looking at the car over this week and wondered how
to tell for sure.

> Thanks
> & have a peaceful holiday.
> Mike V