long tubes

hello, new here, so bear with me please. i am going to rebuild my 300k with
long tubes. i would like to know please if anyone knows if i have to use a
270 cam as chrysler did, i am thinking of the comp solid if need be. and i
hope to put on edelbrock heads. does anybody know if this is a problem? the
cam is my concern as the heads i would think would be beneficial. any help
would be reat. i already checked teh homepage and read links on the long
tubes but not sure if 270 can is what is best? thank you all, tim