Re: [Chrysler300] about torsion bars

In a message dated 5/17/2002 12:26:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
accf_clb@xxxx writes:

> Hi,
> I wonder what could happen if the torsion bars are tightened more
> than factory setting, i.e to compensate too low front height
> (smaller tires than original). Possibility of breakage ? Lack of
> driveability (and comfort..) ?
> I ask this question because my car has radial WWW tires (225-75 x
> 14) and they have 2" less height than original bias 9.50 x 14.
> So the car is 1" lower than original and i sufferd from some
> problems when i run on "slowdown buildings" (don't know the exact
> word and don't know if you have these things in USA: it's a
> cemented round obstacle through the road, 4 to 6 inch height, so
> you have to slow down the car to 10 to 20 mph if you want to
> cross it without a big jump !). These obstacle are common in
> every small towns in France, because drivers cross these towns at
> too high speed.
> Problem for my Imperial is that it has a longer wheelbase than
> european cars ! When the front wheels go down this damned *^"!°
> (not all, because majority are enough long) the rear wheels
> haven't began to climb the beginning so the middle of the car
> (exhausts..) scrapes the cement. I don't have the problem with
> the '58 Bui*k, it is higher than the Imperial.
> I know also that all the fellows who have Corv*"te, Trans'*m,
> Cama"%o etc have still more problems than me: they must cross
> the obstacle crosswise ! And even the modern cars which have
> spoilers...
>
> --
> Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)
> Imperial 57 Crown convertible
> Buick 58 Roadmaster sedan

Phillipe,
I think those are what we Americans refer to as 'speed bumps', anyway ....
My experience has been no problems when jacking up the front end of a 300 via
the torsion bars. Your vehicle will appear to going uphill all the time ...
and you will get less gas mileage (just joking here Phil).
The car will ride a little more firmly with a 1 inch increase in the height,
but will handle about the same. I am not sure what this will do to front end
alignment, maybe some others can comment on that!
The biggest factor you have to contend with, IMHO, is appearance!
Ron...