RE: [Chrysler300] DaimlerChrysler Announcement

RE: [Chrysler300] DaimlerChrysler Announcement

Sean,
This announcement sure generated a lot of response! First I must say: I can
respect everyone's opinion on the subject. About the 20 years thing,
that's the exact same thing they said about Elvis, the Beatles, the Rolling
Stones, the Drifters, Dion Warwick, Waylon Jennings, Jr., Ricky Scaggs, and
the list goes on. All of those guys are much uglier than Celine, and some
are uglier than Richardo, but I don't think it's all about beauty or looks.
I'm not saying I love all of Celine Dion's music but most of it is at least
enjoyable. Her music is a lot better than some of that wanna-be music I
hear cluttering up today's airways. I'm 48 years old and like listening to
the oldies. Celine may not be the most beautiful woman in celebrity status
but as stated earlier, she's an icon and, to some extent, an idol to today's
youth, boomers, yuppies, and soccer moms, all a potential Chrysler market.
I must say, not many celebrities can remove themselves from the limelight
for an extended time and then come back and be better and more popular as
Celine Dion did. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can do what she did
and succeed. I don't think it's as much about looks (lord knows some of
today's Mopars are uglier than the Edsel!) as it is about reaching a varied
and diverse market. Celine's impact is yet to be seen but it might surprise
all of us. We'll have to wait and see.

In conclusion, I think the big D needs to do something to compete with all
those ads we're bombarded with from GM, Ford, Toyota, Lexus, Mitsubishi,
etc. Anything is better than nothing. When I was a teenager, I remember the
TV commercials for the Dodge Boys, the Road Runner, the Rapid Transit
System, etc. and they had an impact on me to the point of craving anything
Mopar. When it was time for me to buy my first car, it could only be a
Dodge. I refused to even look at anything else. It turned out to be a 61
Polara, but it was a Dodge! I was the proudest kid in the neighborhood and
nobody messed with my 361 except the rich kid with the new Challenger.
Those days are long gone but the initial impact lives on. I'll be a Mopar
man forever because of those TV commercials.

Good luck to DaimlerChrysler,
Mark