Re: [Chrysler300] Freeze Plugs?

DON'T EVER expect them to protect a block from freeze damage!!

I was very glad at beginning of 2002 when one of "freeze" plugs poped out of from my 392 block: some days before the weather was very cold and even in my closed garage the temp went below 20° F. When i took the car some days after i noticed that i 've a coolant leakage under the car. i started the engine and some minutes after a BIG flow of coolant went out through one of the core plug (which were all new). First i thought that it wasn't well "expanded" but i remenbered also that i haven't 100 % coolant in the engine ! In summer 2001 i put coolant in radiator but i didn't opened the two drain block plugs so water remained in block and i had a 50 % mixture.
I think that this mixture froze in block and luckily poped out the freeze plug (which perhaps wasn't completly "expanded"). I replaced the expansion (freeze) plug (it was the less easy to access, under the front engine support !!) and filled the engine with - 40° coolant !!
So i call them now "freeze plug" ....

--

Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)- Webmaster des sites ACCF et C-I-F
Imperial 1957 Crown convertible

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com

- Chrysler Imperial France (C-I-F) : http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f

- Cadillac " Standard of Excellence " : http://www.ifrance.com/accf-cad