lean burn question

On my 77 Newport lean burn which surges and is impossible to drive I discovered something this morning. I disconnected the vacuun hose from the vacuum transducer on the spark control box and the car runs just fine. Question is why ,and is this harmful to the engine? Any help is appreciated. Thanks Chuck

The new MSN 8 is here: Try it free* for 2 months http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup