Fluid leaks and additives

>> Transmission stop leak will swell the rubber seals in the transmission.
Heat
>> kills the rubber.

>How about leaks in the power steering pump and steering box? Could this
>stuff be used to swell those seals, too? Could this damage the steering
>system?
>
>George Clineman

I have no personal experience with any product that is intended to stop
leaks in power steering systems. Power steering leaks are most generally the
result of wear, contamination and seals deterioration inside the assembly
that allows housing pressures to build well beyond the capability of the
external seals/gaskets. This can also be totally true for automatic
transmissions.

Pour in, cure something products may work. The probability of success will
depend on how lucky you are. When something is poured in, the chance is
always there that the product may well create other, and sometimes more
serious, problems.

In our shop, my wife and I are faced with miracle additive questions on a
regular basis. Per OEM instructions, we do advise that there are some that
must be used. Techron is one that is specifically recommended by Volvo for
Bosch injector PM. GM has an injector product and says OK to Techron that
must absolutely, positively be used to keep their Central Sequential FI
system working. Used or not used we have seen the systems go down so what is
the answer? Ginger root for block/coolant sealer: Really old technology; now
OEM GM, Ford, Chrysler. Sta-Bil for fuel system storage OK. Top engine
cleaner? For some engines this is a must but I still see head removal as the
only effective way to decarbon combustion chambers and head ports.

Therefore, if you absolutely must, go ahead and pour. I shared one product
name that we have not seen to be destructive with older design automatics
and that product also says OK for power steering BUT - - - -

This is one shop owners opinion, and, - - - I could be wrong.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ