Alternators

For those interested in replacing the 12v generator with an alternator, here's my two bits' worth:

I prefer to use the standard 10-SI series Delco units, wired the way they are designed to be. It's simple, and that way you can walk into any parts store and get another one. They come in either 65A or 80A versions. 80A capacity is plenty.

NAPA part # for the 80A version is 13-4200 (listed for '78-82 Chevy Malibu and others with small block V-8).

Use your existing voltage regulator's 'BAT' terminal as a convenient terminal point:
1.Remove wires from the ARM and FLD terminals on the regulator (these are coming from the respective terminals on the generator, of course ... you can hide them or cut them off). Leave all wires on the ''BAT'' terminal of the VR where they are. Run a #10 wire from alternator output (''BAT'') terminal to the regulator's BAT terminal.
2. Make a short jumper (18 ga. is fine) to connect the #2 ''spade'' terminal on the alternator to its 'BAT' terminal (this is to feed the alternator's internal voltage regulator).
3. Connnect the #1 spade terminal on the alternator to the ignition switch, through a 10 ohm, 10 watt rated resistor (this provides a ''startup'' voltage to the alternator to get it going initially). Here again, 18 ga. wire is fine, as the current is quite low.

That's it. Your ammeter and all else will work as it did with the generator.

Park Waldrop
'C' cpe - Atlanta