Re: [Chrysler300] Rear Axle Bearings

Hi all:

Well, I don't know how long axle bearings are supposed to stay greased but I
had an experience with my '66 300 several years ago. It had 165,000 miles on
it. I was driving 30 miles from nowhere in northern California coming home
from a 300 meet in Bend, Oregon. At some point in time, I felt a bit of
hesitation at 70 mph but thought nothing of it. A few miles further on, I
started hearing a grumbling noise from the rear. I pulled off the road and
found nothing abnormal. Started on the road again and more loud rumbling.
Pulled over at a wide turn out and jacked the rear end up and heard a loud
noise from the left rear axle. I pulled the axle and the bearing "dust" fell
out on the ground along with the shavings from the keeper. It was bone dry
and actually looked rusty. I had no prior warning that I had a bearing going
bad except for the hesitation a few minutes before. Later I found that the
housing had gotten so hot that the hole for the bearing had actually
enlarged. Temporarily, I inserted an 18 ga. shim around the bearing until I
purchased a replacement housing when I got home.

SO what makes a bearing go so quickly? Who knows?

Dan Reitz
Northridge, CA
300F
'66 300 Conv.