392 fan belts

Seems I have created a 60MPH governor on my C. Every time I exceed 60 the fan belt squeals. I'm pretty sure it is the generator belt since there is a black smudge on the under side of the hood above the generator(single belt that goes from fan to generator). I've tightened it, cursed at it, changed it but no luck so far. What obvious thing am I missing. I'd really like to drive faster that 60. Or , I guess, I could drop an slant 6 in the C and I wouldn't have to worry about going over 60 any more. Thanks for any help on this.

Zak