57 C Door Panel Inserts

Hi to All,
A few months back, I sent my aluminum door panel inserts to "The
Finishing Touch" in Chicago for
cleanup/refinishing. A few of you expressed an interest in the results.
The instructions I gave were to try
not to remove the pattern in the metal. They came back predictably
highly polished, which I could deal
with, but with all traces of the pattern removed. I was told beforehand
that if I wanted a dull or satin finish,
I could have them anodized, a service they did not offer.
When questioned about the pattern, I was told this came off early-on
in the polishing procedure because
it had been applied only to the surface at the factory. I had to agree
that had it been a stamping process,
it most certainly would have been able to be seen or felt from the
underside, which it wasn't.
I welcome your comments as to how this pattern was originally
applied and how it could be duplicated.
I posed this question to Gary G. as he at one time was trying to have
them reproduced and would be in a
position to know the process. I am assuming that these inserts are a
scarce commodity if a reproduction
project was in the works. Will relay any response from Gary to the
group.

Regards,
Dave Geise
57 C in NJ