Re: [Chrysler300] 300 handling versus a certain 60s sports car?

Re: [Chrysler300] 300 handling versus a certain 60s sports car?

Hi Aussie,
I've lived with Big Block (427 & 454 ci. in.) Corvettes all my adult life &
have learned some of the problems that make them handle funny. I have driven
them up to 140 MPH, mostly on race tracks, & never had problems with the rear
end not tracking properly. Corvettes built between '63 & '82 had the same basic
frame/suspension system and are prone to two common problems. First, age
deteriorates the rear trailing arm bushings. Second, in the colder climates where
gobbs of salt are used on the roads, rust will weaken the frame at the
attaching point of the trailing arms. Both of there conditions will cause the the rear
end to wander or "steer" from the rear.

A properly maintained & aligned rear suspension in a Corvette will produce
cornering results that exceed the capability of our trusty 300's.

300'ly yours,
Jim Bartuska