torqueflite trans.

Hello.
I have a question what speeds can a torqueflite transmission downshift cause i was going 60 or 70 m.p.h. in my 60 300F and a car tried to pass me when he was way back to start with then i hit the gas and it would not downshift so i could get ahead and the car eventually got right by me and passed me.But it would not have happened if the transmission would have went into passing gear whats wrong thank you tom.