Gas guage problem

Hi Dave, and all

I have the same problem with my "G". New everything, wiring harness, etc.
; still, the gauge won't read full. So, replaced the sending unit. Same
situation.

Seems to me that the problem is located in the voltage regulator built in to
the oil pressure gauge. The gas gauge needs 5 volts to operate. If it is
getting more, or less, voltage, it could affect the readings.

Look at the schematic for the car. 12volts goes in to the oil pressure
gauge. It then gets dropped to 5 volts, which feeds both the fuel gauge and
the temp gauge.

You should measure the output voltage of the oil pressure gauge and see
whether it is within specs. (Hint: use an analog voltmeter, as a digital
unit gets confusing to read due to the voltage spikes and drops every time
the points open and close. The analog meter will "average out" the readings
nicely.) If voltage not within spec, the oil gauge should be rebuilt or
replaced, OR you can bypass the oil gauge's voltage regulator and install a
NAPA #IR-5 ( I think that's the number) voltage regulator, which does the
exact same thing. This is the same voltage regulator as can be found in a
1964 Chrysler. It reduces battery voltage to 5 volts. It can be installed
without chopping wires, and will fit in there nicely.

I did this modification to one of my cars and the fuel gauge now works the
way it should. I have not had time to do it to the gold "G", but I am
fairly confident that it will fix the problem.

Hope this helps,

John