front brakes - 57 vs. 60

Hi to all,

Speaking to Bob D'Agostino (Parade Green stickshift 300C), and discussing
front brakes, something interesting came up, re: attaching location of
FRONT brake shoe return springs on brake shoes.

Looking at page 52 of 1957 Service Manual, it clearly shows the return
springs hooked into a hole in the "body" of the brake shoes (figures 7, 8,
9 or 11).

Now, I have worked mostly on 60 thru 62 cars, and this didn't look right to
me, so I checked out the '60 Service Manual, Group 5, page 8. That clearly
shows the return springs hooked to the "eyelet" on the brake shoes, and NOT
THROUGH THE HOLE !

So- same (stupid) brake system, same everything, but different location for
the return springs where they attach to brake shoes. What gives ???

Checking rear brakes, seems that all are the same, and springs attach to the
"eyelet" on outer edge of shoe, regardless of year...

Is there a right way and a wrong way, or a better way ?

John