rear main seal on 331

I'm looking at the gasket set for the 331. The rear main seal is neoprene. The half that fits in the cap seem to be correct but the half that fits in the block has probably 80% of the housing that the seal fits into empty. I was told by hot heads to fill under the seal with silicone. This sounds really Mickey mouse. Does this work or should I go find a rope seal(didn't come with the gasket kit)?

Zak