Fw: Hemi plugs - input from G Riehl

From: George Riehl
To: Wayne Graefen
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 9:52 AM
Subject: Hemi plugs

Hi Wayne;
I also answered Ulf about plugs. I explained on the many hemis I rebuilt, many of the tubes are so galled up , and in some casses, the end of the tube has seperated and allows oil to get into the tube and short the plug. I do install the gasket to prevent further damage to the mating surface of the tube. In many casses, I have had to replace the tube because of this situation. The extra .020 to .030 shorter reach does not affect the plug firing properly because of the extended reach of the electrodes. Most of the damage done to the tube is because too much torque has been applied to the plug without the gasket. In a few extreme casses, when removing the plug, the end of the tube comes with it because of over-torquing and spreading the end of the tube that "clamps" around the plug. It is cut out like an aluminum washer and is almost paper thin.
And so speaks the oricle! Discussion?
George