Brake drum swaged studs

On the front axle with wheel studs and outboard mounted brake drums, the
brake drums are commonly held in place by causing an upset (swage) of metal
at the base of each wheel stud. In order to change the studs or brake drum
the swages need to be broken. This is generally done with a special hollow
cutter and always in a mill or drill press. Pressing the studs out without
releasing the swages can result in hub distortion and stud hole enlargement.

Last time this subject came up I remember that there was a question as to
where the tool to do this might be available. I just ran across the tool in
a 2003 Goodson catalog; for 7/16, 1/2 or 9/16 stud sizes at $59.99 each. I
do not have any of these tools but remember that they do break pretty easily
(carbide tipped). The swaging tools that I knew about came from Nugier Co.
in CA that made very high quality presses but I believe is still out of
business. While replacing wheels studs is a good idea I have left the
reswaging operation out of the drum replacement procedure many times with no
problems.

We have a customer that needs new drums on the front of her 1967 Polara.
After we find new (or real good used) drums I will be faced with the job of
separating the drums from the hubs and then buying new studs and nuts. One
other option would be to fit rotors and discs. This would a) save us a lot
of time continuing to search for drums, b) save me from buying the Goodson
tool and c) put more stopping power in the Polara. My question is, does
anyone have any experience with disc brake retrofits and this chassis?
Parts? Kits? We would appreciate any help. Thank you.

www.goodson.com

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ