vintage drag racing photos

Hello & happy Friday.

Were early lettercars ever campaigned at the drags? If a team was racing a
big car in the late '50's, what sort of markings (other than burnt rubber)
would the cars have designating classes? Anybody have some
pictures/examples? Did the late 50's racers have wide whitewall cheater
slicks?

The heater-delete C is now a radio/clock/heater delete car with factory
block-off plates and 4-bolt manifolds - and (soon) a noisy 3" exhaust
system. It seems the perfect candidate to dress-up with period
markings/vinyl lettering; especially as I can't afford a good paint job! The
nostalgia drag look should be fun at next year's cruise-ins. thanks