Re: [Chrysler300] rebuilding '64 413 motor

Re: [Chrysler300] rebuilding '64 413 motor

Hi all:

I've spoken with several club members over the past couple of years about
selecting a cam for the ram engines. As a result, I decided to study the formula
in the club article "All About Rams." The formula can be simplified. I came
up with the following. These formulas are for 30" ram tubes. The cam for
the 300F and 300G has a valve duration of 268 degrees and results in a maximum
torque at 2800 rpm. Soooo,

To determine the RPM at which maximum torque will be attained when valve
duration is known:

R = (720-D)6.195

or;

To determine required intake valve duration in degrees to attain maximum
torque at a preselected RPM:

D = 720-R/6.195

Where: R = RPM
D = Intake valve duration in degrees

NOTE: In order to attain maximum torque, the ram cam gear MUST have the cam
locating pin retarded 2 degrees.

I do not take any credit for the formulas in the ram article, I just made
them easier to understand. The constant of 6.195 takes into consideration all
the calculations concerning ram length, wave length, etc.

Just some idle thoughts.

Dan Reitz
Northridge, CA