1961 300G New Member - reply

Hi Russell,

Welcome to the Club and to the listserver - online group.

Here's my personal reply to your specific queries; some other members might
have other insight:

1/ Steering wheel - you have two choices, as far as I am concerned: send
yours to Dennis Crooks at Quality Restorations
http://www.qualityrestorations.com/
for a complete R&R (expected cost about $1200.00 ? ) or wait awhile for
Michael Burke to get the 'Swedish Connection' rolling - when that happens,
your cost will be about $700.00 for an exchange wheel.

2/ Steering box : just take yours out and send to Steer & Gear, 1000
Barnett Rd., Columbus, Ohio, 43227, 1-800-253-4327 . I have used them many
times. Their turnaround is extremely quick. Your 300G should not be laid
up for more than two weeks.

BUT - how do you know the steering box is a problem? if you have excessive
play in the steering, it could be caused by something as dumb as a $5
bushing. Indeed, there is a rubber U-shaped bushing located between the
steering shaft and the box, where the two meet. To visually inspect it, you
will have to remove the steering shaft outer tube, to expose the inner tube.
E-mail me privately if you need instructions. When the rubber bushing wears
out, it can cause a LOT of play in the steering. New bushings can be
ordered from Gary Goers (www.garygoers.com)

3/ Side quarter emblems seem to be somewhat of a problem right now. Also
query Gary Goers as far as those.

4/ Console parts: Gary Goers sells the console inserts (ribbed stuff) ; as
far as the outer anodized aluminium runner / strips, the 6 pieces should be
taken off (4 long and two short butt-pieces) and sent to Marcos Cielak at
Ano-Brite: http://www.anobrite.com/ for polishing out the scratches, and
re-anodizing.

Hope this helps. Once again, welcome to the Club !

John Hertog
Sag Harbor NY