Re: [Chrysler300] judging

Ben,

I've been judging body and paint for several years.

I think you can get a blank judging form from the Club office. It'll list all the catagories and point deductions for each item. Judges will often have a minimum and maximum point deduction for a judged item. They can use their discretion. Some deductions are standard. An example of a standard deduction is a non-original paint color (not the color the car came with for -50 I believe) and a non-authentic color (It was never a Chrysler color at all -100).

Peoples choice judging has several catagories of cars sorted by year. Just the highest popular vote totals gets the awards. A car popularity contest more or less as viewed by the club members. Nothing official here.

Driven cars are judged with the trailered cars. Don't think for a minute though that the trailered cars judge any better. From my own experience a little dirt or a few bugs are going to get a lot less attention than bad body work or the wrong color paint. As far as improvements, its at your discretion. Some will be seen and judged. Others may not be noticed. For example I have a devil of a time distinguishing between some the new base/clear coat and the single stage paints. Short of scratching the paint off I can't tell. Don't worry, that's not part of the judging process.

The club hopes to establish the standard for the car as it was built. Its just a single viewpoint. There are lots of others. All owners have to make choices during the ownership/restoration. The trophies are nice but your are the one that need to be satisified with your work. Also, the judging process is only a part of the meet experience. On average only 5-10 cars are entered in concours each year. Don't think we talk badly about the people who won't submit to judging! Now if you paint your car plum crazy and install a slant six some members may want to discuss it with you...

Jim Krausmann
Detroit MI