[Chrysler300] Value vs. Drivability

At what value point would YOU stop driving YOUR car?   That is a highly individual question.  It might be best answered as a practical percentage of your net worth.

For someone living in a mobile home with no money in the bank other than next month's lot rent and they are 60 years old, it is not only time to stop driving their Letter Car convertible but to sell it in case the bottom fell out of this collector car market like most of us watched it do in '89-90 (Letter Cars didn't take a big hit but MOST collector cars did).

For someone living in a five million dollar home on the beach in Malibu or Kennebunkport, with millions more in equities from stocks to "pocket change", get out and enjoy driving that Letter Car!

For the vast majority of us somewhere in the middle between the above scenarios there are multiple other factors of business and health and storage and how our wives view our cars.   So even on the Duesenberg end of this scale, there are car owners who regularly tour their prize possessions and those who strictly keep them in climate-controlled security-watched fortresses.   The chapters of the Classic Car Club of America have several road tours during the year to drive their Classics and what do they do on those tours?  Well, often, they go to see other members static collections!  Interesting!

For me, these are CARS and cars were meant to be driven.  If I couldn't drive them, then just keeping and maintaining them would actually own me!   I sold my low mileage C convert years ago because it deserved to be in a museum as an example of an authentic original car and it still sits there and that is great for THAT car.  I have a '69 Coronet R/T 440 convertible that is a "survivor" car with higher mileage.  That car was on the 2004 Hot Rod magazine Power Tour.  Scorched the tires some places and forged on through driving rainstorms other days.  Perfect for THAT car.

If the Barrett-Jackson auction does portend that the market value of our Letter Cars has recently doubled, some will sell, some will be parked, and I would hope that in most cases, those of us who drive them will have DOUBLE THE PLEASURE of ownership.

Wayne

'Thanks & Giving.'