Re: [Chrysler300] Gages

George:

I'm working on a sporadic problem on the fuel gage system on my 1955 and
find the wire to the sending unit is routed under a metal protective
flap from the center of the trunk to the wire loom at the rear of the
trunk.  Years of wear and vibration had worn through the wiring in
several places.  This did not turn out to be the problem, but sure
contributed to whatever is wrong.  The connection to the sending unit
was badly corroded and packed in mud.  Cleaning, inspecting and
replacing this wiring is an easy place to start.  I recall others
advising on how to determine whether the sending unit or gage might be
faulty and I found this old note that indicates an order of magnitude
for the variable resistor in the sending unit.  A variable resistor can
be used to simulate the sending unit.

I also had similar problems with a F**d pickup that had a bad ground in
the dash.  Everything went to zero or pegged out.  My wiring diagram
shows both the fuel gage and temperature gages receiving their power
from the same terminal on the starter and ignition switch.  If this is
the same on yours, a bad connection might be the problem.

I hope this is of some help.

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 C-300-perpetually on empty.

Hi Rick,
It's Ed agin. Found some notes about the 1967 gas gage.
The tank sensor resistor was 10 ohms at full, 26 ohms at half and 64
ohms at empty.  This means the testing tool was probably a 65 - or - 70
ohm variable resistor.
The sensor gasket was .077 thick, 2 1/4 ID X 2 15/16 OD.
My guess of 20 ohms was way off.

Please let me know how you make out.
Ed

News4ge@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi, Group,
>
>Yesterday I was driving my K and the gages were working fine.  Next time I
>looked, the gas gage had dropped from half full to almost empty and the temp.
>gage had dropped from about midway to barely registering.  I filled the tank and
>now the gas gage shows a little under half full and the temp. gage barely
>gets off the peg.  The fact that the gages do anything at all tells me that
>there's some juice getting to them, but not enough to move the needles to where
>they should be.  All the other gages and lights on the dash are working.  Does
>this sound familiar to anyone?  Is there, hopefully, a simple answer?
>
>Thanks,
>
>George Clineman

'Thanks & Giving.'