Re: [Chrysler300] 1964 300K crossram torsion bar

Re: [Chrysler300] 1964 300K crossram torsion bar

Walter:

No help on parts, but I recall the noise when I lost a torsion bar on a
2-year old '61 Valiant while backing out of a parking space.  As an
engineer, I examined the bar for source of failure and decided the
coating on the bar had been nicked, allowing for corrosion (salty in
Omaha).  The failure initiated at the coating nick and corrosion spot.
Pretty disappointing, but I was able to remove the broken parts and
drive lopsided to my destination and then to the dealer for a warranty
replacement.

A torsion bar is essentially a straight coil spring and I don't recall
hearing of coil  springs breaking, although I'm sure they do.  They may
be better protected from the elements than the torsion bars.
Recommendation:  Periodically inspect the torsion bars for loss of
coating and any corrosion or nicks.  Cleaning and recoating with
undercoating might be a good idea if the car is operated in wet/salty
environment (I hope most of our beasts are kept inside during salt
season in the winter, but there is always salt in the environment near
the seashores).  Smoothing any nicks with a file and/or emery paper
might extend the life of the bar.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 C-300

walter beesley wrote:

>Good afternoon everybody:
>
>I was standing beside my 300K when I heard this loud bang exit one torsion bar. Is there anyone out there that knows of anyone that has a left hand bar heavy duty chrysler number 1825 607 that they are willing to part with. My interchange manual says 62 to 64 fit it. A friend suggested super glue or duct tape.
>please reply to crockww@xxxxxxxxx
>
>Thanks walter
>

>-

Yahoo! Groups Links