[Chrysler300] 300G Gas Tank Float

My gas gauge always reads empty, even when the tank is full.  I have checked the resistance of the tank float and it reads about 47 ohms, indicating that the tank is empty.  I then substituted a 20 ohm resistor in place of the float and the gauge reads about half. So the problem is in the float or the resistor in the float.  My question is, what is the float made of, a fiber type material that would/could get saturated, or a sealed metal "can"?  I really don't fancy the idea of having to drop the tank if there may be another way to fix the float.  Probably wishful thinking on my part.  Thanks for any help.

Paul Weihl
300G