[Chrysler300] 300G Gas Tank Float

Paul:

The float on my 1955 C-300 was cork and still floating fine, although 50
years of gas had dissolved the black tar coating on it.  There is a
slide wire resistor on mine that no longer functioned, so I took it out
and had it rebuilt.  I was not and am not happy with the rebuild as the
resistor installed was different than the original.  The gas gauge
needle always flickers now and I can't believe that is normal.   I did
have the cork float replaced with a hollow brass one and that worked
ok.  My float was accessible through a big (factory) hole in the trunk
floor, so replacement was easy.  I stuffed a rag into the hole while the
float was in the shop.

I suggest you obtain a replacement sending unit and have it on hand when
you drop your tank.  The failed unit should have core value.  I built a
variable resistor system with fixed and variable resistors from Radio
Shack to calibrate my gauge and found that full was 10 Ohms, Empty was
72 Ohms.  I find that I will have to adjust the float wire angle to
better reflect the fuel level in the tank.  You should probably do this
before you reinstalling the removed tank.  Calibrate the fuel gauge
first, then adjust the float wire to provide the desired resistance with
various gasoline levels.  Please be careful.  Don't do this in a garage
with a furnace, water heater or any sparking motor or switch.

Some or all of this information may be totally irrelevant to your newer
car with the 12-volt system.

See attached for new gas gauge configuration (not for server).

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA (Got gas for $2.99 today)
1955 C-300

Paul Weihl wrote:

My gas gauge always reads empty, even when the tank is full.  I have checked the resistance of the tank float and it reads about 47 ohms, indicating that the tank is empty.  I then substituted a 20 ohm resistor in place of the float and the gauge reads about half. So the problem is in the float or the resistor in the float.  My question is, what is the float made of, a fiber type material that would/could get saturated, or a sealed metal "can"?  I really don't fancy the idea of having to drop the tank if there may be another way to fix the float.  Probably wishful thinking on my part.  Thanks for any help.

Paul Weihl
300G