RE: [Chrysler300] 300C Tailights worth? and your ebay comments

RE: [Chrysler300] 300C Tailights worth? and your ebay comments

Ok, here is my two cents on eBay and shipping. I have more than I little
experience here.
I am not trying to offend, just being honest. You guys outside of the US
and overseas should consider yourselves lucky if anyone will ship to you
at all. It is a hassle to deal with the post office, customs forms in
quadruplicate now, size and weight limitations; I have to list values
very low on items so duty fees are not completely out of hand which in
turn means I can not put insurance on the package. So it is a crapshoot
if it will even arrive at all. It takes 6-10 weeks to ship this way
unless someone wishes to pay for airmail which very few ever do because
the cost is very high. You guys in Australia and new Zealand have it the
worst. I use the postal calculator online to get shipping quotes for
people but when I show up at the post office it is never the same cost,
most of the time not even close. So that is a wild guess as well. Living
in southern California means going to the post office will take a
minimum of one hour out of your day, and I fill out all of my forms at
home in advance. Sucks ass. I think about stopping all out of country
shipping many times.
For in country shipping I use UPS. They pick up at my house and have
been more reliable for me than anyone else for the dough. Unfortunately
when I get the UPS bill, these days there are all kinds of surcharges
for locations and fuel etc. usually a buck or two for each package added
to the tab.
Packing supplies cost money. I have spent as much as $400-$800 a month
on boxes, peanuts and bubble wrap.
Because of all these things, shipping costs get padded a little bit.
Anyone who sells a lot on eBay does it and has to, if they say otherwise
they are full of crap. I am not talking about doubling the shipping cost
or major gouging but more likely adding a buck or few to help with
costs. Some smaller sellers can ship for actual cost perhaps; because of
low volume it will not affect them.
If any of this bothers you eBay is not the place for you probably. Keep
in mind that when you buy anything mail order you get charged for
shipping, all big company's make money on shipping, because of very
large volume they get great shipping deals and don't pass all of it down
to the customers.
About buying on eBay, if you are not 100% comfortable with the item then
do not bid. EBay is kind of a gamble, you have to have a little faith in
the honor system and be willing to take a little risk. I do it all the
time and think of it as sort of an adventure. Most of the time it works
out, sometimes the parts or cars I buy are better than described even.
Sweet! Now and then something turns out to be not the best deal but
that's the way it goes and it is a small minority of the time.
So there you have it. If you are uncomfortable, inflexible, lack
patience, or have any issues with trusting people or shippers you should
probably avoid the internet or mail order for buying. There are still
swap meets.
Lee in San Diego