Re: [Chrysler300] Carburetion Question!!! - reply

Re: [Chrysler300] Carburetion Question!!! - reply

Hi Warren,

Would you still take issue with this setup if a momentary contact switch were used instead of a toggle?

Just curious.

Best Regards,

Thomas F. Miller
tfm@xxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> "Warren Anderson" <wranderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 9/20/2005 8:08 PM >>>
 The only 100% for sure "cure" for this symptom
> is to install an auxiliary electric pump. Properly installed at the rear,
by
> the tank, this switch-controlled unit would push fuel all the way up to
the
> front when turned on, and fill up the bowls on the carbs with fuel.  then
> start the car, turn off the electric pump, and you're done.
>
> My 300G is equipped with such a critter. Even after weeks of sitting, it's
> always an easy start.  It sure beats cranking and cranking and cranking
and
> cranking to get fuel up to the carbs using the factory mechanical pump.
So
> far it's been years since I have had to replace the starter, and I believe
> this is in great part because I don't have to use it a lot, to crank and
> crank and crank...
>
> John Lazenby sells a small, easy to install "straight-through" unit that
> will allow fuel to flow through it even when turned off.   E-mail him at:
> john@xxxxxxxxx
>
> John Hertog
> Sag Harbor NY

Dangerous set up to say the least. First, idle pump DOES cause some
restriction that can be just enough to aggravate marginal vapor lock
condition.

Single switch under dash can be (and will be eventually)  left on and pump
will pump entire contents of fuel tank through needle/seat and at least
cause a mess. This I have seen happen but have never seen what happens when
switch is left on and carburetor floods over and a large fire starts. This
can happen very easily and is why a safety system needs to be built into the
on-off supply for the booster pump so that if the engine dies, the pump
shuts off too. Good common sense approach to avoiding otherwise inevitable
disaster.

Back when, heavy duty trucks with carburetors had in-tank electric fuel
pumps and primer buttons on the dash. Before the engine was running, primer
button allowed driver to fill (big) float bowls and then, after engine was
running,  the pump was oil pressure triggered to run. Prime pump before
start is definately not some new idea and is not a bad idea but needs more
than simple switch to be safe. (IMO as well as alot of other engineers)

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ

Yahoo! Groups Links