[Chrysler300] 300G pinging problem

Brandt:

Combustion technology always involves the tradeoffs between material
endurance, power output, economy and emissions.  Current engine
technology can include variable valve timing, individual cylinder spark
timing control, imdividual cylinder fuel-air ratio management, variable
length intake passages & etc.--all designed to enable an engine to run
reliably closer to the ragged edge of failure and comply with emissions
rules.  Our wonderful old carbureted engines with crude vacuum and
mechanical ignition timing control cannot continuously and reliably run
that close to failure.

You are right--you can't have max power and max reliability with our
older engines as equipped in the 50's and 60's.  Optimizing what you
have by tuning the ignition system and carburetion is all you can do
short of the old hot rod tricks of porting and relieving.  Find a point
you are comfortable with and enjoy the ride.

Best wishes in finding and enjoying that point.

BTW, I recently saw an old ad that was selling oxygen to be used as a
carbon remover.  Connect the oxygen to the manifold, open it up and burn
out all excess carbon in a few seconds.  That was a new one for me.
Obviously, the point is to burn the carbon, not the pistons, valves,
cylinder walls, rings, heads and plugs.  I do recall advocates of water
injection with the hope that the steam formed would blast out the
carbon.  Water injection was successfully used to cool the combustion
chambers of piston-driven airplanes during takeoff and (perhaps) maximum
combat power situations.  Asking an engine to perform well all the way
from sea level to 40,000 feet was asking a lot, even with
superchargers.  Our cars are pretty much limited to Death Valley (-282')
to Mt. Evans, CO (14,130')

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA