Re: [Chrysler300] Just to put a damper on things...

Re: [Chrysler300] Just to put a damper on things...

How about a very audible symptom of damper failure ------ hope I remember
this correctly.

One day while driving my 413 powered 300E, there came from under the hood a
loud and horrible scraping sound --- similar to a fan chewing up a radiator
after a collision.
Fortunately, I was almost home and nursed it the rest of the way.

The problem was the damper had failed with the outer ring of the damper
moving toward the engine. The horrible sound was the outer ring of the damper
chewing the timing chain cover.

The fix was a timing chain cover from another 413 , the damper (cleaned up
and repainted of course) from a non-running 300E I had laying around,  and
while I had it apart -- a new Mopar Direct Connection double  roller timing chain
and gearset. The damper is still doing fine after all these  years.

Guy Morice