[Chrysler300] Riveting Fun in VINland

One more time, without HTML.  That stuff is sneaky.

Rich

Gil & gang:

Are we talking about the VIN tag on the A pillar/door frame or the tag
on the firewall/cowl/radiator support? The only picture I noted for the
300-D had two big Phillips-head metal screws in it.  And what is the
proper nomenclature for each of these two metal plates?  I don't think
the body numbers were called VIN's until a few years after 1955.

If on the firewall, is the VIN tag weld fastening you describe
applicable for all years?  My specific interest is the cowl-mounted VIN
tag on my 1955.  It came off when I was trying to read it, but it seemed
to have been riveted to the cowl with wimpy rivets.  I put a couple of
metal screws into it until some permanent and proper fix can be made.
Is it properly painted body color?    Mine was sprayed the incorrect
white at its restoration.  Would there be decent primer and/or paint
under the tag?

My door frame mounted VEHICLE NO.  tag seems to be stainless steel and
appears to be spot welded at two dimples--but the dimples are a little
rusty and could be rivets.  Or perhaps the spot welding process changed
the metallurgy of the SS plate.  It was masked off when the door frame
pillar was painted at restoration time, but a little of the proper
Platinum color shows around the edge where it was masked off.   It does
look like that SS plate was affixed after the body was painted originally.

I note that the 300D did not attract a bid with a minimum of $25K
specified.  And the white C-300 with the odd bumpers did not meet
reserve after 18 bids to $35,377.  Doesn't tell us much about market
values other than expectations appear to exceed market demand in the
e-bay venue.  In going through the Barrett-Jackson Sneak Peek catalog, I
discovered a few interesting inconsistencies.  One featured car is the
beautiful 1954 Chrysler d'Elegance--with a 354 hemi.  One would think
that it would have had a 331 like other Chryslers of that year, but
perhaps it's engine was replaced--oops-demerits-Or was Chrysler
experimenting with larger displacement HEMI's in  1954?  ?  A pretty red
300C convertible lot #1264 is described as being the "First year for the
HEMI Letter car".  First year for the convertible, anyway.  Also a nice
looking red 300G convertible-lot#1299, "Completely restored to AACA
National 1st Place specifications".  If either of these are member's
cars, I wish you the best of luck in raising the bar.  A rising tide
lifts all boats.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA