[Chrysler300] did anything compare/rival 300s pre 1963?

[Chrysler300] did anything compare/rival 300s pre 1963?

Another question for those with spare winter time in the US?

I will try to be briefest - I just mentioned what a newly discovered
unrestored original supercharged 57 TBird's ebay end price was, as a
comparison to what the unrestod  Gconvertible just made.

In doing this I said that the F Code TBird was likely the only fair rival to
the early 300s. I based this on 1957 Daytona Beach results - a probable top
factory spec stock speed of 135mph, and how one nearly embarrassed a big
engined race Ferrari sportscar in one of their circuit events.

Since that posting, other options/contenders, have been put forward -
Pontiac's 1957 top performane Bonneville, etc. Obviously neither the 57
TBird, nor a 57 Pontiac offered the knockout looks, class or style of the
300, but likely their on road perfmance may have equaled the 300 in some
respects - the 57 Bird in manual steer has an excellent circuit track
handling potential if fitted
with stiff springs and shocks - maybe better than a 300C's ?!

So finally to the question - this maybe for those who knew the cars when new
- what cars other than 300s in the period say 55 - 63, were a good second
best or alternative to the 300 - were any better to drive, more fun, or real
serious rivals?
I left the 57 Vette out of my original potential comparison because of it
it's very poor, too close, 'in your face' steering wheel position', and
build quality, etc, plus it was more a sports cars versus what the 300s
offered re travelling fast in comfort.  (Over the last year, I discovered
near 400 bhp 1969-70 428 and 455 engined shorter wheelbase Pontaic Grand
Prixs - which were likely, would be, rivals for a 'Chrysler 300' had
Chrysler been still building them, but they were not - prior to finding
these, I never knew of them, so maybe there are still some
undiscovered/unrecognised cars out there that were better than many knew,
know today?)

have fun thinking if snowed in, or ignore if better things to do.

yours Christopher

Yahoo! Groups Links