RE: [Chrysler300] 1966 chrysler 440 TNT??

RE: [Chrysler300] 1966 chrysler 440 TNT??

A dual snorkel air cleaner does not mean the engine is a TNT. Anyone can
put an air cleaner on it sometime in its life since new, even the dealer
that sold it new. TNT engines have a different camshaft and different hi
flow exhaust manifolds very similar to the B and E body cars used with
magnum and commando big block engines. Also, all TNT engines will be
stamped HP on the front pad of the block, under the AC compressor area.
No HP stamp, no TNT. That is the way it is and the way Chrysler did it.
Also, ALL TNT cars had dual exhausts from the factory. Which means a
different gas tank, slightly narrower to allow room for the other pipe.
A real TNT car in 1966 is very Rare. That is probably why no one sees
the K in the vin# ever. I have heard of a few but I have never actually
seen one in person in the 25 years I have been chasing these rigs. In 67
and up the TNT became more common and was rated at 375 hp because of
better heads with larger valves. If you had a car with the TNT engine
code in the VIN# the only thing that will denote is that engine came in
that car. It does not mean the car will have Discs or a console etc and
vice versa, a console car with discs does not have to have a TNT. You
could order a 4 door wagon with drum brakes manual steering and a TNT if
you wanted to. A couple years ago I looked at and nearly bought a 1967
Polara convertible with bucket seats and a console, 440 magnum(TNT), 18
spline hemi 4 speed trans, Dana 60 sure grip rear axle, manual steering
and AC. Very, very weird optioned car but it was the real deal!
Lee in San Diego