Re: [Chrysler300] Dave Clelland's G, Concours or show!?

Re: [Chrysler300] Dave Clelland's G, Concours or show!?

Pete and All:
Since you asked, here it goes!  First of all, All 300 letter cars were  made
at the same plant---the Jefferson Assembly in Detroit.    Therefore there are
no variations due to plant, although that certainly could be  the case with
other models.  Of course there could be variations, and many  times are, between
"early" and "late" cars of the same model  year.                 Secondly,
the 300 Club Concours takes the word "restore" in its most literal  sense:
return to original.  Anything more or less will result in a  deduction.  If one
doesn't like this procedure, there are all kinds of  competitive judging events
that award trophys for "pretty".  It is, and  should be, I believe, up to the
mark club to set a standard on the car as it  originally came from the factory.
 That is what we have always endeavored  to do in our judging.
Finally, speaking as the 300F model year consultant, 300F door latches were
painted with the car, as were the strikers and of course the hinges.  The
little anti-rattle wedges were installed after paint. (I am going to have to
remove the paint from mine that I mistakenly told the resto shop to  apply!)  As
I think others have stated, the 300G was the same, and even the  hood latch
was painted on it.  I continue to be amazed at what a  learning experience
restoring a car to original is.  Those of you doing so  should make use of the
Club's model year consultants, and also seek out owners  with ORIGINAL cars to
answer questions.  No one person can possibly  know everything.  One very good
reason for restoring as accurately as  possible is the fact the number of
original cars declines every year.   Someday there will be none to reference.
300ly, Gil  Cunningham

In a message dated 2/6/2006 11:46:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,