RE: [Chrysler300] glass problem and question

RE: [Chrysler300] glass problem and question

I would like to suggest the acid products Lime Away or CLR as described at
the following website (for boats).  I find that the 3M plastic
scouring/polishing pads can be used with the acid to scrub off the softened
scale.  Protect your eyes, skin, lungs, paint & chrome at all times.

It takes hydrofluoric acid to etch glass and it is a fairly uncommon
pollutant.  It did used to really attack the windshields of cars parked near
cement plants--too the point the windshield surface became so porous as to
be uncleanable.  Definitely not good for living critters, either.

waterski.about.com/od/boatmaintenancetips/a/boat_spotremova.htm

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 C-300

John, what I have used to remove this lime or calcium type deposit is steel
wool.  It takes time and a lot of effort, but it will come off.  I tried
some of those bathroom cleaners that are used to remove lime, but they
didn't work.  Only steel wool has been successful for me, and then I did not
wet it since it would reduced the effectiveness of the effort.  Good luck.
Steve Albu

> On my '61, at the lower edge of the glass, where it meets either the
gasket
> (if windshield or back window)  or where it meets the metal frame (if side
> glass), there is a layer of "stuff" that just won't come off - on the
> OUTSIDE of the glass, only.  It appears that this "film" was left there by
> leaves and various crap, as the car sat outside for years. It is NOT
> delamination of the glass - it most definitely is on the outside.  It
looks
> like whitish, frosty stuff. almost like what it would look like if the
glass
> had been sandblasted.
>

> It's really strange, careful work with a razor blade will remove some of
it,
> but it's very slow and tedious. In some areas, the razor blade won't even
> remove it.
>

> Has anyone experienced anything like this and come up with a solution for
> getting rid of this crap ?
>

> John Hertog
>
> Sag Harbor NY

Yahoo! Groups Links