[Chrysler300] Tango Red 1955 C-300 near Oakland, CA

[Chrysler300] Tango Red 1955 C-300 near Oakland, CA

I did view this car last week at the Fantasy Junction shop in Emeryville
(Between Berkeley and Oakland), CA.  Fantasy Junction has almost all foreign
cars, including a $1,000,000 Mercedes 540K, lots of Ferraris, Alfas, Jags
and other European sporty cars.  The 1955 Tango Red Chrysler C-300 was the
class of the store, IMHO.  The Merc was the usual boring silver gray
(gorgeous car, really).

The Chrysler does apparently belong to Martin Swig, race car aficionado and
columnist of Sausalito and Lake Tahoe.  He delivered the very interesting
pre-55 Chrysler racing history at his home on Lake Tahoe at our meet there
last year.

See:

Martin Swig is a former San Francisco new-car dealer who now presents the
internationally-celebrated California Mille and other historic car events.
When not organizing historic car tours or competing in historic car racing,
he lives in Sausalito with his wife, Esta, and their two children. Call him
at 415-479-9950.

The pictures and description accurately reflect the car's condition.  It is
a driver and has been driven, as witness the big removable sticker on the
door from last year's California Mille coordinated by Swig).  Exterior has
been repainted, but no restoration under the hood--and there was a very
small amount of Tango overspray on the under hood fender liners. Not even a
steam cleaning with grime on the bottom of the hood, firewall and engine
parts.  Only 39K on the clock as I read it, but 85K+ shown in the ad (see
photo of speedo).  Only obvious non-stock items were P235 radials, outside
rear view mirror, non-Chrysler voltage regulator and two-piece negative
cable from battery to starter.  Underhood wiring ratty, like mine.  All
glass OK; headliner and visors ok, with very minor stains.  Original nicely
aged back seat upholstery and very good Goers front seat upholstery.
Steering wheel and horn ring in great shape.  Original trunk carpet with
typical color change to a reddish tinge.  A few bubbles in the paint at
lower edge of rear quarter panel behind passenger side rear tire.  Some
blemishes and chips in the paint, but hood, doors and trunk all closed
nicely.  Started on first twist after a couple of pumps and a second or
three delay for vaporization.  Idled extremely well for a C-300.  Did not
verify engine S/N, but did have the proper Delta Wing, albeit in need of
refurbishing.  Wheel covers looked OK, but in need of a few replacement
centers (available).  I cannot vouch for the red being the proper Tango, but
I think it is the proper slightly orangey red and it is so claimed in the
ad.  Bumpers and grilles very good, but not quite show quality.  Dash pad
excellent.

This car is the hours younger twin to another Tango Red C-300 belonging to
member Terry Hoemann of Nebraska who has 3N552005 (cool VIN last year, and
only color for a Nebraskan's car!)

See: http://www.fantasyjunction.com/used-
cars.php?id=66291ccdc92b6c47321decd3899a171a

You will probably have to glue this address together or just go to:

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/  and scroll through inventory.

The car would be a pretty easy restoration to any level desired or just a
real attractive & fun driver.  I hope it fits the bill for someone in the
club.  Asking price $48,500--doesn't hurt to ask.  Fantasy Junction is just
off the east end of the Bay Bridge to San Francisco--about 8 blocks from
I-80, but was fairly hard for me to find in the rain last week.  If you are
anywhere close, Fantasy Junction is a worthwhile stop with courteous help
and all cars inside.

Ruthanne says she prefers the red one to our white one, so if anybody would
rather have a white one for about the same money let me know.

C-300-ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA (hour away).
1955 C-300